Thinking of starting a doTERRA business?
Before you take the leap, I want to share a secret:
Learning to sell essential oils is just the starting point!
To unlock the full potential of network marketing, you also need to learn:
- How to tell your story
- How to build authentic connections
- How to effectively coach like-minded people to follow in your footsteps
When you believe in the company and products, it’s a lot easier.
doTERRA (pronounced duh-teh-ruh) was founded in 2008 by an enterprising group of business and healthcare professionals looking to share the highest quality essential oils with the world.
The doTERRA founding executives were committed to providing only the purest, highest-grade essential oils. Today, doTERRA sources, tests, manufactures, and distributes pure essential oils and natural wellness products to over nine million Wellness Advocates and customers.
doTERRA products are shipped to 86 countries and counting!
But you need a realistic plan to succeed, no matter how much you love the products.
Keep reading for a hype-free guide on building a thriving doTERRA business.
Why Build a doTERRA Business?
Millions of clients and customers have shown that doTERRA can be a successful direct sales business. If you believe in the power of essential oils to bring health and happiness to your life and others, then doTERRA is a natural fit.
The key to success in Multilevel Marketing (or MLM for short) is finding the right company to join forces with. It has to check all the boxes that make it easy for you to succeed. And doTERRA does just that.
- Leadership. doTERRA has established leadership in direct marketing sales, helping their Wellness Advocates with leadership training and digital marketing to help you start selling immediately.
- Established. doTERRA is an established brand with millions of satisfied clients worldwide.
- Good Product. doTERRA creates a safe, tested, and sustainable product. It is a top priority to protect the environment during the production process and provide fair treatment for all harvesters and growers.
- Systems that support momentum and simplicity. As a doTERRA Wellness Advocate, hard work and momentum are rewarded. You’ll also take a simpler approach to selling.
Making Money with doTERRA
Like many network marketing businesses, the goal is to move beyond selling products and become a leader – helping others duplicate your success.
doTERRA offers a lot of resources and information to help you sell their products. But to take it to the next level, making real money in your business, you need to understand how to win people over to your team.
Here are three steps you can take to make that happen.
1. Discovery: Generate Interest
When you start your doTERRA business, the first part is generating interest in both the products and the business. This can take some time, but it’s well worth the effort.
You want to connect with people with similar passions and secure their interest in doTERRA before engaging and inviting them to join you in this venture.
- Ask the right questions. Rather than jumping right into why someone should buy your doTERRA products, you want to start by asking them questions about themselves. People, for the most part, love to talk about themselves. Asking questions gets to the heart of who they are and draws them into being curious about your business.
- Engage leads with surveys. Using simple surveys on your website and social media is a great way to gauge interest in your business while also getting contact information.
- Use social media (don’t let it use you!). Social media is a fantastic way to generate leads. Just don’t let social media use you! That means using social media posts and communities to generate interest – but always offering a path to your website or email list, where you can communicate directly with interested people.
- Connect with people authentically. You believe in the power of the product you’re selling, so others out there believe in it, too. Connecting with people already interested in doTERRA essential oils should be natural and not forced. Think of this part of selling as having a casual conversation with friends.
2. Engagement: Add Sizzle
While you’ll always be on the lookout for new leads, you also need to engage with your current leads to maintain their interest. To build a team, you have to leverage a customer’s initial curiosity into excitement about the possibilities of doTERRA.
This is where many people in direct sales drop the ball. They don’t keep track of leads, and let too many opportunities fall through the cracks by not following up effectively.
You might be hesitant about contacting people too often or being too “salesy.” But relationship-building becomes a seamless part of your day when you have the right processes in place. Adding tools like RapidFunnel to the mix only makes it easier.
The following tips can help you engage with your prospects and keep them interested in what you have to say (and sell).
- Find common ground. Once you have people who’ve expressed interest in doTERRA, find common ground with them. Your leads will likely use or want to use essential oils, but in what other areas do you share similarities? Hone in on them to build authentic connections with prospects as you grow your network.
- Be a storyteller. People don’t want to be sold to. They want to hear stories. What personal anecdotes can you share? What happened in your life when you started using the products – and started your doTERRA business?
- Share resources. Do you have a helpful resource to share? That’s a great reason to reach out to a prospect – no selling involved! Sharing resources at the right time helps you continue building exposure to the story and rapport.
3. Invitation: Taking Action
Once you’ve engaged with your leads and caught their attention, you want to invite them to buy your products and join your team.
It should be as easy as possible for people to take the next step – and adding a compelling CTA (call to action) to all of your communications is essential.
- What’s Your CTA? Your call to action should be clearly stated and easy to follow – don’t try to be too clever or offer too many options for people to consider. Focus on one clear ask, like clicking a link, reading a blog post, or signing up to receive a free resource by email.
- Focus on pain points – not Buy, Sell, or Join. Write your CTA around a problem you can help people solve rather than pointing them directly to buy a product or start selling doTERRA. For example, a CTA could be:
- “Tired of being tired? Click here to learn how essential oils finally got me sleeping 8 hours a night!” OR
- “Looking for a fulfilling business that lets your passion and purpose shine? Click here to learn more!”
From there, they can purchase the product or join your team.
The 3 Keys to Succeeding with the doTERRA Business Model
In the world of network marketing, too many people oversell and overpromise the money, the freedom, and the hype. The potential rewards are there, but you don’t have to oversell it to make it work!
So, what do you have to do to succeed?
Building a doTERRA business that generates real income takes time, engagement, and, most of all, leadership. You may be a great salesperson, but you can’t win if you don’t lead your team to be great at what they do.
Success with the doTERRA direct sales business model is about the speed at which you can share the doTERRA story with retail customers, and connect with and help those looking to start their own successful businesses.
There are three keys to making this work for you and those you help:
- Focus on telling the story as many times as you can. For those who are, like you, interested in doTERRA products and business, you can never share the story too much. Keep your leads interested by regularly communicating with them.
- Commit to high-quality communication and exposure. This is where authentic engagement is key. Make sure you’re not spamming your leads, or sending them poorly articulated newsletters. Keep your stories genuine and heartfelt—quality matters in generating and maintaining leads.
- Teach steps 1 and 2 over and over. As you grow your direct sales team, you’ll want to ensure they’re also following steps 1 and 2. The more everyone grows their business, the more everyone succeeds.
Your leadership skills are essential as you grow your team. Your storytelling talents, ability to follow up effectively, and excellence at teaching those first two steps will win the day.
One last thing to keep in mind: Keep it simple.
To lead your team to success, don’t overcomplicate things. Complexity kills, and a confused mind does nothing. Make it too complex or difficult, and everyone fails.
That’s why the right tools are so essential.
Follow the steps in this guide, and you and your time can find great success with the doTERRA business model.